We're looking to hire a part-time manager for the 2016 season of the Bridgeland-Riverside Farmers' Market.
Market Manager Job Description
Apply by March 25 - 4:00pm to [email protected]
Term Position: April - October 2016 (with possibility to extend past October)
Responsible to the Advisory Committee (the Bridgeland-Riverside Community Association), the Farmers' Market Manager plays an integral role in the operation of the weekly farmers market in the Bridgeland Community. The position entails day-to-day operations of the market, in addition to working with market vendors and other stakeholders, both internal and external, to the market. The market manager also will work closely with the Board to ensure that strategic plans for the organization are developed and implemented.
1. Vendor Recruitment, Selection and Retention
- Work with the Board and/or Vendor Selection Committee to determine the optimal market mix, always keeping in mind the 80/20 rule.
- Ensure all new and returning vendors complete an application form listing their contact and product information.
- Work with the Board and/or Vendor Selection Committee to select vendors for the market.
- Assist vendors on pricing, merchandising and other business or marketing related issues.
- Hold vendor information meetings at least once per year and as issues arise throughout the market season.
2. Communications and Market Promotion
- Represent the market in meetings with external stakeholders, building positive community relations.
- Communicate respectfully with vendors, board members, sponsors, inspectors and other stakeholders.
- Initiate media stories on the market using innovative techniques.
- Respond positively to ad hoc media inquiries about the market.
- In conjunction with the Board, develop and implement a promotions program for the market.
- Work with the Board to identify signage requirements. Ensure signs are made and displayed prominently in the community.
- In conjunction with the Board, develop and implement special events for the market.
- Respond to market inquiries in a timely manner.
3. Market Set-Up
- Ensure tables and/or booths are allocated each week in compliance with market policy.
- Arrive at the market a set time period before the market opens to the public in order to set up tables or mark out booth spaces and to greet vendors when they arrive to set up their stalls.
- Be visible and accessible to vendors and customers during the market day.
- Prior to leaving the market at the end of the market day, ensure the market area is clean and meets all the requirements laid out in the market rental or lease agreement.
- Board-Management Relations
- Market Rules
- Dispute and Emergency Resolution
- Regulatory Compliance
- Record Keeping
- Market Evaluation
Skills and Qualifications
- Interest and passion for farmers' markets as a direct marketing channel
- Excellent conflict management skills, strong leadership and organizational skills
- Able to communicate well, both in writing and orally, with a variety of stakeholders in a variety of situations
- Previous marketing experience
- Time management and organizational skills are crucial
- Experience in foodservice management and would be an asset so there is a good understanding/knowledge of food safety and regulatory requirements for food vendors
- Experience working with a volunteer board
- Physical requirements: Able to set up and move tables or tents as needed. Able to walk the market during market hours.
- Previous experience managing a farmers' market would be a definite asset
- Must be present before, during, and after all Markets (every Thursday, noon-8:30, June 23-October 6)
- Workload will be approximately 15hrs/week, hourly salary of $18/hr
- The BRCA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants to apply. It is our aim to have a workplace which reflects the diversity of our community.
- Two professional references will be requested.
- Education requirements for this position will be verified by a third party.